I know I am a little late for this post but due to exams, it has been difficult to update you guys. Recently many of my friends and readers were complaining that copying text from many Blogger and WordPress blogs was resulting some text ending “- See more at:” string followed by a unique #hashtag appended to the URL of the page. I found the same problem in this blog. Many readers were complaining that the tutorials were no longer working. After inquiring about this problem, I came to the conclusion that this problem is occurring because of the latest integration of the CopynShare addon of the ShareThis plugin on its website. So this has affected any Blogger who might be using any widget powered by ShareThis. Even if you are using our Floating Share bar, then you must also be experiencing the same problem. Just follow this simple tutorial to uninstall the CopyNshare widget from your WordPress or blogger blog.
Note: I have updated the Floating bar widget and all plugins that needed an update.
In order to keep using ShareThis sharing counters but deactivate the tracking feature then you must follow these extremely easy steps:
- Go To Blogger > Template
- Backup your template
- Tick the box “Expand widgets templates“
- Search for the following similar code:
or simply find this little piece of code:
Now replace this entire script with the following code:
5. Save your template and you are all done!
Now your readers can easily copy content from your blog.
In WordPress, the steps are much easier as compared to blogger
- Go To Plugins > ShareThis
- Simply uncheck the option that says “Enable CopyNShare Beta“
How do this works?
In the above script for ShareThis light options, what I did was simply insert some variables told by ShareThis itself to stop this widget in sites that don’t want to use it. They are:
- doNotHash: true
- don’t copy: true
- hashAddressBar: false
- doNotHash: I have set this variable to true so that no attribution link would be added to the text copied from your blog.
- don’t copy: This variable is set to true disables the pasting of the See more #hash tag “See more: yourURL.com#SThashtag” when a user copies and then pastes text anywhere.
- hashAddressBar: This variable is set to false will deactivate the URL copying tracks.