Meta Tags are very important in SEO terminology. They help in increasing traffic towards a blog. It assigns an introduction about a blog post, page or the blog itself. Without these Meta Tags, the search engines won’t know what the blog or page is about thus reducing valuable traffic. Since they are so important they should be added bu the main problem many newbie bloggers face is that Meta Tags for Homepage, posts, and pages won’t display in custom templates. This is because custom templates are coded by third party designers and therefore we would manually need to insert the necessary code to make this feature of latest search preferences work in your customized blogs. The method is really easy. We would delete any existing Meta Tag for description inside your templates and would replace it with a dynamic code that will act as a meta tag both for the homepage and as well as for individual posts and pages.
Enable Meta Tags in Blogger
First and foremost you will have to activate the meta tags feature without which it is impossible to add Meta Tags. To do this follow these steps:
- Go To draft.Blogger.com > Settings > Search Preferences
- Click the Edit link
- Choose “Enable Search Description?“
- Inside the box describe your blog in no more than 150 characters. Use our Character Counter Tool 5. Click Save changes
Now the meta tag for description is added but still will not show up neither to you nor search robots if you might be using a custom blogger template. In order to fix this problem and add the necessary code to follow this:
- Go To Design > Edit HTML
- Backup your template
- Just below <head> add the following code for meta description,
<b:if cond='data:blog.metaDescription != ""'> <meta expr:content='data:blog.metaDescription' name='description'/> </b:if>
4. In order to avoid repeated use of Meta Description, you will need to delete the static meta tag code that you added previously using old traditional way. This code is located somewhere below <head> and can look like the following:
<meta content='YOUR BLOG DESCRIPTION MENTIONED HERE' name='description'/>
or like this:
<b:if cond='data:blog.url == data:blog.homepageUrl'> <meta content='YOUR BLOG DESCRIPTION MENTIONED HERE' name=' description'/> </b:if>
Instead of the text “YOUR BLOG DESCRIPTION MENTIONED HERE” you will find a description set by you for your blog.
5. Finally, save your template and you are all done!
Why Write Search Description?Search Description or Meta Description for the post, if written well can rank you higher by providing search robots with a brief summary of your entire post. Robots love brief and precise snippets of texts that describe the entire concept behind the post. I hope I really helped you people. Peace and blessings brothers. 🙂